Clio was named after the Greek Goddess, muse of history and poetry and daughter of Jupiter.
On March 13, 1873, by Senate Bill No.234, the Village of Clio" was "incorporated".
But the beginnings of Clio as a settlement came much earlier. Theodore P. Dean began the first improvement upon the village site in 1837 when he erected a saw mill south of where the old swimming pool stood on North Mill Street; This sawmill and a few shacks were all that stood among the tall trees until around 1855.
The building and completion of the Flint and Pere Marquette Railway in 1861 was the most important factor in the development of Clio’s (then known as Varney) identity as a town. The Village was platted, stores and manufacturing establishment sprang into existence, lumbering became an important interest, and the new village rapidly increased in numbers.
Clio is home to the Clio Area Ampitheater and the Clio Area Historical Depot Museum.
Our Flint Location
Address:728 Garland St.
Flint, MI 48503
ZIP Codes Served